“The Big Easy” Mushroom Muffaletta Burger
Recipe Courtesy of Lauren Wyler, 1st place winner of Swap It or Top It 2013
Serving Size: 5 burgers
2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
12 ounces white button mushrooms
2 large garlic cloves, minced
½ teaspoon fresh thyme
2/3 cup black olives
2/3 cup garlic stuffed green olives
1 Tablespoon capers
2/3 cup spicy Giardiniera (pickled vegetable mix)
2 Tablespoons plus 1 ½ teaspoons bottled olive oil vinaigrette dressing
1 Tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
1 ½ teaspoon creole seasoning
1 1/2 pounds lean ground turkey
5 slices smoked provolone cheese
3 Tablespoons olive oil mayonnaise
1 Tablespoon hot sauce
5 whole wheat bakery buns
- Heat 1 Tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Roughly chop mushrooms and add them to the hot oil. Cook for 10 minutes or until mushrooms have browned and softened. Add the garlic and thyme and sauté for 2-4 more minutes. Place sautéed mushrooms in a large mixing bowl and set aside to allow them to cool.
- While the mushrooms are cooling make the olive salad mix. Roughly chop the black olives, green olives, capers and Giardiniera and mix together in a medium mixing bowl. Add two Tablespoons of the olive oil vinaigrette and mix to combine. Set aside for later use.
- To the large mixing bowl with the chopped sautéed mushrooms, add the Worcestershire sauce, creole seasoning and ground turkey. Mix thoroughly to combine and shape the meat mixture into 5 patties. Heat the remaining Tablespoon of oil in the pan. Once oil is hot add patties to pan and cook 5-7 minutes or until a brown crust has formed on the underside of the patty. Flip burgers over and cook another 3 minutes. Place cheese slices on each burger and continue to cook, until melted, for 2-4 minutes.
- While burger patties are cooking make the spicy mayo. In a small mixing bowl add the mayonnaise, hot sauce and remaining 1 ½ teaspoons of the olive oil vinaigrette dressing. Whisk together to combine.
- Toast the buns.
- To assemble the burgers spread a thin layer of spicy mayo on the top and bottom of each toasted bun half. Evenly distribute the olive salad mix between each bun bottom and top with a burger patty. Place the bun tops on each and serve immediately.