Meaty portabella mushrooms take the place of meat in these vegetarian-friendly pepper burrito bowls. Brown rice and beans make a healthy yet satisfying addition to the filling.
Prep time: 10 min
Cook time: 45 min
3 large red, green or orange peppers, cut in half lengthwise, seeds removed
2 cups of cooked brown rice
1 tbsp (15 mL) olive oil
3 large fresh portabella mushrooms, diced
1 small red onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 can (796 mL / 28 oz)) diced tomatoes, partially drained
1 package Tex-Mex seasoning
¾ cup (175 mL) canned black beans
¾ cup (175 mL) frozen corn
½ cup (125 mL) shredded Mozzarella cheese
Optional: Chopped cilantro, diced avocado, sour cream, and salsa
1. Preheat oven to 350°F/175°C.
2. Cut peppers in half lengthwise and remove seeds. Place cut side up in a shallow baking dish. Set aside.
3. Cook brown rice as per package instructions. Set aside.
4. In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add diced portabellas and sauté 4-5 minutes, or until most of the moisture has been released. Add onion and garlic to the pan; sauté another 1-2 minutes or until fragrant. Add diced tomatoes, Tex-Mex seasoning, black beans, corn, and cooked rice to the pan. Simmer, stirring occasionally, over medium-low heat until mixture thickens slightly, 6-8 minutes.
5. Spoon rice mixture into each pepper half (approximately ½ cup (125 mL) in each). Sprinkle each pepper with shredded cheese. Cover baking dish with foil and bake for 25-30 minutes, or until peppers are softened.
6. Serve topped with chopped cilantro, and diced avocado, sour cream and salsa on the side.