Sausage & Mushroom Stuffing
This sausage and mushroom stuffing is the perfect addition to a casual weeknight meal or a fancy holiday dinner.
Yield: Makes 4-6 servings
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 portobello cap
1 large or 2-3 small shiitake caps
3 shallots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
1 medium carrot, diced
1/2 pound ground mild Italian sausage
1/2 cup raisins
4 cups cubed sourdough bread
2 1/4 cups low sodium chicken stock
salt and black pepper
2 tablespoons thyme leaves, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
1. Preheat the broiler to high. Place the bread on a large, rimmed baking sheet and broil 3-4 minutes or until the bread is golden. Set aside to cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray.
3. Place the mushroom caps in a food processor and pulse to break the mushrooms until it resembles the ground Italian sausage.
4. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the mushrooms, celery, carrot and shallots. Cook 3-4 minutes or until vegetables are softened.
5. Add the sausage and cook until brown, breaking up the meat as it cooks.
6. Add the raisins and cook for 1 minute.
7. Pour 1/4 cup stock into the skillet, scraping any brown bits from the bottom of the skillet.
8. Transfer the sausage mixture to a large bowl. Add the chicken stock, thyme and bread. Season to taste with salt and pepper and toss to combine.
9. Pour the stuffing into the prepared baking dish and bake for 20 minutes.
10. Before serving, sprinkle the stuffing with fresh parsley.