Makes 2 cups
Prep time: 10 minutes
Cooking time: 30 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1/3 cup dried shiitake mushrooms
5 large baby bella mushrooms, stemmed and sliced
2 large shiitakes, stemmed and sliced
1 small yellow onion, diced
6 fresh thyme sprigs
1/3 cup dry red wine
3 cups vegetable stock
2 tablespoons flour
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
salt and fresh ground black pepper
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onions and dried shiitakes. Cook until onions have softened, about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add half of the fresh sliced mushrooms and sprinkle with a pinch of salt. Cook until the mushrooms begin to turn golden brown.
- Add the wine to the skillet and bring to a boil. Cook for 3-4 minutes until liquid has reduced.
- Add the thyme sprigs and 2 3/4 cups of stock, reserving the remaining 1/4 cup in a small bowl. Bring stock and mushrooms to a steady simmer and cook for 15 minutes or until liquid has reduced slightly.
- Use a slotted spoon to remove the thyme and the fresh and dried mushrooms from the liquid.
- Add the flour to the reserved stock and whisk until smooth. Pour the flour mixture into the stock mixture, stirring constantly until smooth. Cook on a low simmer for 2-3 minutes or until the gravy has thickened slightly. Remove from the heat.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of butter in another skillet over medium-high heat. Add the remaining fresh mushrooms, season with a pinch of salt, and cook until mushrooms are golden brown.
Add them to the gravy.
- Season the gravy with salt, pepper, and the apple cider vinegar. When seasonings are adjusted, add the last tablespoon of butter and stir until melted.