Jackie Newgent’s “Swedish” Meatballs
Recipe reprinted with permission from 1,000 Low-Calorie Recipes by Jackie Newgent, RD (Wiley, 2012)
Yield: 12 servings
Serving Size: 3 1-oz meatballs
2 slices fresh whole-wheat bread, torn or chopped into tiny bite-size pieces
1/4 cup plain almond milk or light soy milk
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 1/2 teaspoons grapeseed or canola oil
2/3 cup finely chopped white or red onion
1 1/2 cups finely chopped fresh shiitake mushroom caps or cremini (baby bella) mushrooms*
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
1 1/2 teaspoons sea salt, or to taste
1 pound ground turkey (about 94% lean)
8 ounces lean ground beef sirloin*
1 large egg, lightly beaten
3/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, or to taste
1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
1/4 cup whole oat or soy flour
3 cups low-sodium beef or chicken broth
1/4 cup fat-free evaporated milk
1/4 teaspoon freshly grated or ground nutmeg, or to taste
- Add the bread to a small mixing bowl. Drizzle with the almond milk and toss to combine. Set aside.
- Melt 1 tablespoon of the butter with 1 teaspoon of the oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion, mushrooms, vinegar, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt and sauté until the onion is softened, about 8 minutes. Remove from heat, transfer to a platter, and let cool for 15 to 30 minutes.
- Add the bread mixture, turkey, egg, pepper, allspice, onion mixture, and 3/4 teaspoon of salt to a large mixing bowl. Thoroughly combine by hand.
- From the mixture into 36 meatballs, about 1 rounded tablespoon (1 ounce) each.
- Preheat the oven to 300°F.
- Heat 1 1/2 teaspoons (1/2 tablespoon) of the butter and 3/4 teaspoon of the oil in the skillet over medium heat. Add half of the meatballs and sauté until just brown on all sides, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer the meatballs using tongs or a slotted spoon to a 9 ´ 13-inch or other ovenproof dish. Repeat with the remaining butter, oil, and meatballs.
- Bake the meatballs until fully cooked, about 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add the flour to the remaining bits and grease in the meatball skillet over medium heat. Stir continuously for about 1 minute. Whisk in the broth, about 1/4 cup at a time, until fully incorporated. Increase heat to medium-high and stir frequently until the sauce begins to thicken, about 12 minutes. Reduce heat to medium, add the evaporated milk, nutmeg, and remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt, and continue to cook while stirring until the gravy is desired thickened consistency, about 5 minutes. Adjust seasoning.
- Remove the meatballs from the oven. Pour the gravy over the meatballs. Sprinkle with additional nutmeg or allspice, if desired, and serve
Tip: Use 2 ½ cups of mushrooms and no ground beef for greater calorie savings.
Per serving: 140 calories, 7g total fat, 2.5g saturated fat, 0g trans-fat, 50mg cholesterol, 380mg sodium, 6g total carbohydrate, 1g dietary fiber, 2g sugars, 14g protein
You might also like: