Easy Mushroom Kefta Kebob
Courtesy of Girl and the Kitchen
Tender and juicy ground beef and mushroom kebobs are bursting with flavor! This easy mushroom and kefta kebob recipe is a perfect way to become a blendetarian and enjoy all the flavors of beef but with half the calories!
1 Lb. Ground Beef 15% fat
12 oz of crimini mushrooms
2 Handfuls parsley
1 Onion, roughly chopped into large pieces
2 tsp. salt
1 tsp. black pepper
2 tsp. sumac
1 tsp. 7 spices
extra salt and pepper for mushroom seasoning
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup Greek Yogurt or Labne (Middle Eastern Yogurt)
2 tbsp chopped parsley
1 tsp chopped dill
1.Clean the mushrooms well and dry them thoroughly with a towel.
2. Place in a bowl with olive oil and sprinkle with some salt and pepper.
3. Preheat grill to high heat or oven to about 400 degrees and roast or grill until tender. About 10 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool.
4. In a food processor, add the mushrooms, parsley, onion and all the spices. Pulse a few times until everything is smooth.
5. Add to ground beef to the food processor. Pulse to incorporate
6. Chill for at least an hour in the fridge. If the meat does not cool, it has a higher risk of falling off the skewers while cooking.
7.Shape into long sausage shapes around thick skewers.
8.Preheat your grill. The ideal grill to use is one with charcoals, however if one is not available a gas grill is just fine. In the winter times I use a hot 450-degree oven and it works out great as well.
9.Spray down your grill with non stick spray. Place skewers on grill, careful to rotate every 5 minutes until meat reaches an internal temperature of 155 degrees F.
10.Combine herbs and yogurt and serve alongside kebobs.
1. If thin skewers are used the meat will fall off the skewers. Sometimes, the skewers just do not work for me. So I simply shape them into long sausages and grill that way. You can place the skewers in just for presentation when they are done.
2. Make sure you do NOT move the meat off the grill until it releases easily. The meat will form a nice crust when it is ready to be flipped and will not stick to the grates.