Recipe adapted from MyPlate for Moms, How to Feed Yourself & Your Family Better, by Elizabeth M. Ward, M.S., R.D.
Whip up this easy mushroom lasagna Italian dinner recipe for the whole family.
Yield: 6 servings
Serving Size: 3 cups prepared recipe
1 pound long fusilli pasta or linguine
8 ounces white button mushrooms
8 ounces cremini mushrooms
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 small carrot, diced
1 small sweet onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, peeled and diced
8 ounces 93% lean ground beef
1 28-ounce can no-salt-added crushed tomatoes, drained
1 cup low-sodium beef broth
1/3 cup fresh basil leaves, torn
1/2 cup low-fat ricotta cheese
1⁄3 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley, or 2 teaspoons dried parsley
2 tablespoons trans-fat free margarine
freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil, add the pasta, and cook according to package directions.
2. Chop mushrooms into ¼-inch pieces. Reserve
3. Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add mushrooms, carrot, onion, and garlic. Saute until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Remove from pan and reserve.
4. Place ground beef in pan and cook over medium-high heat, breaking meat into very small bits. Season with freshly ground black pepper.
5. Add the vegetable mixture to the beef in the skillet. Stir in the tomatoes, broth, and basil; simmer for five minutes.
6. In a small bowl, combine the ricotta cheese and parsley. Toss hot pasta with the margarine and return to skillet. Mix with meat sauce. To serve, scoop equal amounts of the ricotta into shallow bowls, top with pasta/sauce mixture.
Tip:Substitute firm tofu or 100% ground turkey breast meat for ground beef.
Calories:449; Total Fat: 11 g; Saturated Fat: 4 g; Cholesterol: 30 mg; Sodium: 116 mg; Carbohydrate: 64 g; Dietary Fiber: 4 g; Protein: 22 g
You might also like: